Another birth sampler I've created


 
It has been absolutely yonks since I did a blog post, to the extent that I had to work out my password and everything all over again.  I'm going to blame work for keeping me most occupied for the majority of time, and the last couple of weeks have been kept busy with a beautiful new little person.

One of my friends recently had her first baby too, and you know how much I love doing birth samplers?  Well, similar to these old samplers (sheep, dragon, tatty teddy) I decided to get my designing skills back out and used an adorable little toy as my inspiration.

There are so many lovely cross stitch birth sampler kits, but they usually take a really long time to make because they are so involved.  The simpler ones I've designed are a lot easier and quicker to stitch - but I don't think they are any less appreciated - in fact possibly more so as you've put a bit more thought into it.

Although I have a cross stitch design program somewhere, I am not sure where it is and it's never been loaded onto my current computer.  There is however an awesome online program called Stitch Fiddle where you can create your very own cross stitch, knitting or crochet charts.  It is actually heaps better than the program I have that created the other examples I've posted links for above, and this care bear I made for my cousin's little girl.


I used this cute little hallmark kitty rattle toy as the inspiration, and designed the chart which ended up looking like:


It didn't take too long to stitch, although I only had 18 count aida cloth which I don't tend to use as much, so the holes are a lot closer.  Because of that, I used only one piece of thread rather than my usual two.

I then just added the baby's name, date of birth and birth details which is always satisfying as it is so quick to do the back stitching after all the cross stitching.  When it was done, I thought it needed a little something more, so I stitched a butterfly, bee and flower which I thought looked quite cute too.


I do love making these sweet little personalised gifts.



Comments