Amy and Angela go to the Zoo!

It feels like it's been a little while since I posted anything, but I have been super busy. We've had visitors and lots of other exciting things have been happening... with lots more planned for the next few weeks (can't believe this year is almost over!!!)

So a couple of weeks ago, mum and I took little Amy to the National Zoo and Aquarium here in Canberra.  They boast that it is the only Zoo and Aquarium in Australia which is kinda cool.  It really isn't that big, but there is a good selection of gorgeous animals and some Zoo's I've been to are in my opinion too big.

Capuchin Monkeys - you could watch these little fellas for hours!!

The Meerkats!!

A close up of the Zebras (practicing with my zoom, however there was a bush in the way!!)

I needed to add this one cause you can see Black Mountain Tower in the background (how very Canberra!)

Some deliciously gorgeous and graceful giraffes.  We raced up there for the feeding, but they came so close Amy freaked a little.  Although I loved watching her experience the animals, it isn't easy taking decent photos with a preschooler around!

A resting Cougar

Cute little Wallaby.... they kind of look like giant rats!!

Old man Emu

A Tawny Owl.  The reason it's kinda blurry is because I had to use the manual focus because the wire cage kept wanting to come into focus.  I was pretty proud that I figured out how to manually focus.

The Cheetah.  There is actually a program at the zoo called "Meet a Cheetah" and it sounds really good. I don't know if I would have the guts to come face to face with this massive cat though.

The sweet little penguins.  Again, I could watch these guys all day... probably why Happy Feet has been so popular... cause they are so lovable and watchable!!

When the heat got too much we went into the Aquarium part which was nice and refreshing.  These are some 'Dory' fish.  Well, I just googled it, and apparantly they are called Blue Tang or Palette Surgeonfish.  I can always hear Ellen D's voice saying "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, what do we do? We swim, swim!"

Amy checking out a shark.  She's a lot braver than her mum who has a morbid fear of them!
Of course there were heaps of other delightful animals like the lions, koalas, womats, kangaroos, otters, red panda, and our famous sun bears.  I either didn't get a decent photo of them, or didn't manage to get a photo at all while tending to a very active 2 year old. :)

We all had a really lovely day.  The weather was warm, but not overbearingly hot. If it was a little cheaper, I would probably go there more often, but it's a little too steep for a regular outing.

I think it is getting close to American Thanksgiving.  So I wish all my US friends a good one.  Don't we all have so much to be thankful for?

Comments