30th anniversary celebration quilt

So I've just realised that I haven't mentioned one of my most important craft items.... I call it my 30th anniversary celebration quilt.  I made it the year I turned 30 (not that long ago), and I wanted to include photos of my loved ones on it.

Because the photos I had were all different colours etc, I made them into sepia so that they would blend nicely with the rest of the colours.  I also had to make sure they looked clear enough in sepia.

I created the design myself, through looking at quilting books and magazines.  I originally figured that I wanted to make squares with different designs.  Then I decided that I wanted to set them out in rings (which is when I came up with the corner square design. 

I had lots of scraps of fabric, some of it I loved, others just seemed to look ok, so I just went with it.  I didn't go out and buy a heap of fabric that all went perfectly together.

This photo is of my wonderful grandparents. xoxo
In the end, I decided the centre piece needed a little something to give it a lift.  My aunty kindly machine embroidered me a basket of flowers.  She then helped me put the whole thing together.  Amazingly (and this was an absolute fluke, 'cause I don't think I am clever enough to work it out), it ended up being a perfect fit for a queen size bed. 
I guess the only thing is that the family is still growing.  My niece Amy isn't on there, and my sister has another one on the way... my cousins are also having kids of their own.  I guess in the end, it is a snap shot of the people who had meaning in my life at the time I turned 30, so it's special to me in that way.

Comments